IIT Bombay Establishes Facility For Visually-Impaired Students
IIT Bombay established new facility for students with visual-impairment at Central Library in IIT Bombay. This facility was inaugurated on January 4, 2017 by Prof. Devang Khakhar, Director of IIT Bombay. The facility was set up with the aim to empower and encourage visually-challenged students to pursue education or research.
IIT Bombay has procured modern aids and appliances such as
- JAWS – screen reading software (Version: 17.0.2729)
- BRAILLE EMBOSSER/ printer
- OPEN BOOK scan and read software (Version: 9.0.1757)
- Eye-PAL ROL – portable scanner and reader
- PERKINS STANDARD BRAILLER.
- Online Book Access – Sugamya Pustakalaya (677374 Titles) (Only for Blind / Persons with Print Disability – To use this facility, please register using IITB email id)
- PERKINS SMART BRAILLER, ZOOM X or PEARL – document camera-works as instant reader
- PLEXTALK Pocket DAISY player and recorder
- SANGEETA SOFTWARE – software which convert txt files into mp3 files,
“This is a positive move towards social inclusion. I urge the library authorities to keep a tab on newer technology and better software versions. We can explore possibility of individual facilities for each visually-challenged student in future. We want more and more talented students to join the Institute and we ensure them all possible help to flourish,” said Prof. Devang Khakhar, Director of IIT Bombay.
Among the dignitaries present at the inauguration were Prof. Prasanna Mujumdar, Deputy Director, Prof. Soumyo Mukherji, Dean of Student Affairs, Prof. Yogesh Desai, Dean of Administrative Affairs, Prof. Avinash Mahajan, Associate Dean (Academic Programmes), Prof. D. Parthasarathy, Head of Department of HSS, Prof. P. Ramadevi, Convener of Library Committee and Dr. Ranjit Kumar Das, In-Charge of Central Library.
Notably, after the passing of Rights to Disabilities Bill-2014, the government has given a mandate to all school buildings and public places to be made friendly for the specially-abled people. Besides the basic facilities, institutions and other organizations should be sensitive towards empowering the specially-abled with relevant facilities.
The event was given wider publicity through print media of the country.
Photographs of Inauguration Program